The King Of Pop Has Me Thinking


So tonight I watched Michael Jackson's This Is It.

Yes, he was eccentric and maybe he did or didn't have a whole host of personal problems. I don't care to get into all of that. All I know is that I've always loved watching the man move.

So tonight I grabbed This Is It from the redbox and settled in to catch a last glimpse of his iconic dance moves. I was also excited to get that rare peek at all the hard work that goes into creating a show of this magnatude.

I started the movie eager and excited, but by the end of the movie...

I was just so sad.

It hit me about 3/4 of the way through the movie when Michael started talking about how much he loved the Earth. The sadness wasn't about environmentalism but something else.

Michael started passionately talking about how much he loved the planet and especially trees. A pretty amazing video was made of a little girl in a rain forest. It was supposed to be played in the background while he peformed one of his songs, Ive already forgotten which one.

At one point he said something along the lines of "the Earth is sick, like it has a fever, and we can't sit around and wait for someone else to fix it, we can't wait for the government, who is the government?, it is up to each of us." He went on to say something else to the effect of "at this rate, 4 years from now irreversible damage will have been done. We have to heal the Earth and give it to our children."

And that is when the sadness came over me.

He wanted so bad to inspire people to "heal the world" and his passion for it was evident here and again at the very end of the movie. He also fully expected that 4 years from now he would be here see it happen.

And of course, he won't be.

So tonight the King of Pop has me questioning and searching, turning my life over and over in my mind.

Will I be here in 4 years? It is such a short amount of time, surely I will be. But is there any guarantee?

What am I passionate about? Am I living a passionate life?

What fears do I need to slay? Isn't my life too precious to be held captive by fear?

I should dance more.

What are the things that I want to or need to do but keep putting off? Let's not say "oh we will do that next month or next year or 4 years from now."

My very wise friend and band mate once sang to God,
"I woke up this morning, this beautiful morning, ready to meet the day..., so speak into this day, a beautiful Monday, a treasure that's perfect for me, may it be a hard lesson or obvious blessing, I'll just have to wait and see..., This is the life, what a beautiful life, it keeps getting better with time..., and the best part is while yesterday was lovely, every new day turns out to be the best day of my life, I want to be nearer to you today than I've ever been before"
and suddenly some of my joy is restored. If you could use this as inspiration, send me a message and I will see about getting this song to you.

Feast on God's grace and live the life that He has given to you.

I love you all


-Jeremy

0 comments: