Why We Have To Watch Crap Movies.

[Or Why I Won't Be Seeing Watchmen]

Ladies and gentlemen. This may be seen as an oversimplification but I submit to you a simple tenet: if we keep going to the movie theaters in droves to watch crap movies, thus making crap movie producing people rich, we will do nothing but perpetuate the crap movie market.

If you are happy with the steady stream of flicks that appeal to the baser undersides of our human nature, then feel free to disregard this post. As for me, I feel like I'm being made a fool of everytime I see how much money some of these movies yank out of our pockets. We easily shell out $10 at a time for the sake of 2 hours in front of the silver screen all the while being happily deluded.

My case in point is G4TV's review of Watchmen. This paragraph sums things up the best:

If there is one weakness in the cast, it’s the performance of Malin Akerman as Silk Spectre. Akerman’s performance sums up the entire movie -- great to look at, but hollow. Granted, I don’t think she was given great material to work with as her character’s dialogue seemed flat. However, she didn’t do anything with what she was given, especially considering that her relationship with Doctor Manhattan is central to the emotional core of the film. She’s undeniably hot, however, and you get to see her naked.


The paragraph that stands out the most to me from pluggedinonline.com's review was this:

An old-school female superhero kisses another woman. The two are later found dead in bed together, the words "lesbian whores" scrawled in blood across the walls. A male superhero is a sadist. A villain is said to be a masochist who follows superheroes around, begging to be beaten.

That's the tame stuff. Watchmen put the "graphic" in "graphic novel" when it was released piecemeal in 1986 and '87. It's as bloody a comic book as you'll likely see, and it, as Slate reports, "helped kick off a decadent death spiral that would see adolescent violence peddled as adult content full of rape, murder and corpse-burning."


We are stooges and the blockbuster makers know how to take advantage of us accordingly. Although, it isn't really taking advantage if we blindly and willingly follow, movie in and movie out. I guess that is what has me thinking the most right now.

G4's Full Watchmen Review
Plugged In Online's Full Review

I highly recommend bookmarking http://www.pluggedinonline.com/ This site reviews popular movies and breaks them down into content levels. They will let you know plot direction, violent content, sexual content, spiritual content, language, and more. The reviews are balanced and well written. I can't begin to describe how much I've been saved by not going out to see things that would violate my personal ethics and how much money I've saved by not going out and seeing crap movies that would needlessly violate my wallet. Check it out and I think that you too will find it to be a useful oar as you glide across the sea of entertainment.

2 comments:

Charley Lowery said...

Thanks for the Post, I almost went and saw this movie tonight before I read the review on PluggedIN.

Anonymous said...

Most movies and stuff on tv is crap!! Only message they are trying to get out is "we dont care what you think". After Andy goes off, that's about it. Think I will read a good book, the Bible!!
Mr. Keith